Due to a sudden transition to a virtual learning environment for all Santa Barbara County schools, we have heard from our educators and parents that families are having a hard time accessing school supplies for their children to continue education from home. Many of our more vulnerable and low-income families depend on help from schools to provide simple supplies, such as paper and pencils. Because of social distancing measures resulting from COVID-19, students will not be returning this school year. Between this and the economic downturn, families are finding it even more difficult to access supplies for their kids to complete their school year and not fall behind.
In addition to our COVID-19 response efforts aimed at providing financial support to individuals, families, and nonprofits, we also want to help local students and parents have the resources they need to learn from home. United Way is partnering with local Family Resource Centers, the Santa Barbara Public Library, and other organizations to gather donations of school supplies to support our local students and parents in their new home learning environment, ensuring that our students have the supplies they need to grow academically over the next several months. In partnership with the Santa Barbara Public Library, free books will also be made available to families.
United Way is accepting school supplies donations NOW, and we will continue to take donations through the summer.
Distribution of supplies and books will start in May, and will take place at local Family Resource Centers, food distribution sites, and schools.
- You can make a donation by purchasing supplies at our Target Registry: tgt.gifts/uwsbc-school-supply-drive. When completing your purchase on the Target website, please select the "ship to United Way" option as the shipping address.
- If you already have supplies or would like to purchase elsewhere, donations can also be dropped or shipped to our local United Way office at the below address, Monday-Friday between the hours of 9:00am and 3:00pm.
- 320 East Gutierrez Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101
Items needed for students pre-k through high school, include:
- Scissors (varying sizes)
- Colored pencils
- Lined paper (college ruled and wide ruled)
- Glue sticks
HELP UNITED WAY GATHER DONATIONS
- Please help spread the word by sharing this link: www.unitedwaysb.org/news/school-supply-drive
- Download and share this flyer: United Way School Supply Drive Flyer
Together, we can ensure that no child in our community is left behind due to the inability to access basic school supplies! For more information on how United Way is responding to the COVID-19 pandemic, please visit unitedwaysb.org/covid19.